Adding A New Koi Fish To The Family
There are few things as thrilling for koi enthusiasts as introducing new koi fishes into a koi pond.
If this is your first time to get koi fishes, or if this is your first time to introduce additional koi fishes into your existing koi pond, then you’re probably wondering how to introduce a new koi fish into your pond.
The steps on how to introduce a new koi fish into your pond are fairly simple, but remember, there are steps you have to follow.
To make things easier for you, today I will talk about how to introduce a new koi fish into your pond if this is your first time to get koi and if you already have koi fishes but want to add new ones into your pond.
Let’s get started!
How to introduce a new koi fish into your pond if this is your first time to get koi
- Select your fish carefully. The first step is of course making sure that you are picking healthy koi fishes. Observe how the koi fishes are behaving in the tank before buying them. If the koi appears sluggish in comparison with its tank companions, then it’s probably sick.
- Check the water’s pH levels. Koi fishes can thrive in various pH levels, but a sudden change in the water’s pH will stress your koi. Before putting your koi into your pond, compare first the pH level of the water in the bag and in your pond. If the difference is 0.2 or below, then you can safely put your koi into your pond.
- Check the water’s temperature. Sudden changes in water temperature can adversely affect your koi. It can cause stress and weaken your koi’s immune system. That said, instead of putting the koi directly into the pond, float the bag first to allow the water in the pond and in the pond to reach the same temperature.
How to introduce a new koi fish into your pond if you have other koi fishes
- Quarantine the new koi fishes. To make sure that the new fishes are healthy, do not add them directly into your pond. If practicable, put the new fishes in a quarantine tank for at least 3 weeks and monitor their health before introducing them into your koi pond.
- Watch your fish carefully. If the new koi fishes are healthy, you can introduce them into your pond. Koi fishes are usually very friendly, but you still have to monitor the new fishes to make sure that they adapt well. Koi fishes may also try to jump out of the pond, so you have to keep a watchful eye on them.
Those instructions are pretty easy to follow and remember, aren’t they?
Just make sure that you follow these instructions and I guarantee that introducing new koi into your pond will be a breeze.
Now, all that’s left for you to do is to get new koi fishes! Enjoy watching them swim gracefully in your pond!
If you are looking for some where to purchase your newest Koi Fish family members from why not check out Blue Ridge Fish Hatchery.