How And Where To Find The Best Food For Your Koi
So you’ve set up your pond and bought your first young koi fishes.
The fishes are swimming happily and your pond is an explosion of moving colors. Now what?
Watching your young koi fishes grow is incredible – as long as they grow big, happy, and healthy.
How do you do that?
By keeping your pond clean and your koi fishes well-fed, of course!
In today’s article, I will give you some tips on how to find the best koi food for your fish.
Sit back, relax, and read on to find out how to find the best koi food for your fish.
Knowing how to find the best koi food for your fish
Before figuring out where you could buy high-quality koi food for your fishes, you first have to know what makes for a good koi food.
This is especially true if you intend to give your koi fishes feeds.
Regardless of whether you intend to buy pre-made fish food or prepare their food yourself, here are some things you should look for in koi food:
- Growing koi fishes need a diet high in protein in order for them to build muscles and grow quickly. Note, however, that the protein needs of koi fishes vary depending on the season. During summer, protein should comprise between 25 to 36 percent of a koi fish’s diet. Meanwhile, you need to reduce your koi’s protein intake in the winter since protein is harder to digest.
- The fat requirements of koi fishes decrease as they age. For young koi fishes, up to 10 percent of fats should be included in their diet. Meanwhile, adult koi fishes only need 3 percent of fats in their meal. That said, as your koi fishes grow older, you no longer need to actively try to include fats in their diet as long as you give them high-protein food.
- Around 60 to 75 percent of your koi’s diet should be carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are easy to digest sources of energy, which is particularly important during the winter.
- Vitamins and minerals. In addition to protein, fats, and carbohydrates, you should also make sure that your koi fishes get vitamins and minerals in their diet. Try to look for koi food with calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, and potassium.
Where to find koi food
Now that you know what to look for in koi food, the question is: how to find the best koi food for your fish?
Here are some places where you can buy koi food:
- Pet supply stores, especially those which sell fishes
- Your local supermarket, if you prefer to prepare koi food yourself
- Online, such as in Amazon and online pet supply stores
Now that you know how to find the best koi food for your fish, you can be assured that your koi fishes will grow faster and stronger.
Remember that taking care of your koi doesn’t end with providing a beautiful koi pond for them, you also have to make sure that they are well-nourished and that they get all the nutrients they need.